In my last post I briefly discussed desire and its importance in creating a headline.
In this post I will show you step-by-step, how you can attach the strongest mass desire to your product or service to increase its selling power.
Desire is the reason WHY prospects purchase your product. They are trying to fulfill a deep internal want.
*Important note about desire is that it can't be created. You can bring your prospect's desire to the surface, but you can't "make up" a desire. Desires are deep rooted into us and your job is to link the fulfilment of those desires onto your product or service.
How To Find The Strongest Mass Desire And Attach It To Your Service To Increase Selling Power
In this blog I will be going through the following:
- Find the mass desire that creates the market you're selling too- Mass desire is what motivates your prospects to buy. Find out what desire motivates the prospects in your particular market.
- List the different performances of your product- Performances are the selling aspects of your service. This is the logical reason why people buy your product.
- Attach the strongest performance and mass desire to your service- Stating your strongest performance and attaching it to a strong mass desire will increase the selling power of your headline and website.
Desire creates the market you are selling too.
A mass desire starts off as a private want and then slowly turns into a massive public want. And when a significant amount of people share that same desire a market is born.
A market can consist of a desire shared by a few thousand like the urge to buy clothes for your dog. Or it may be shared by millions like the desire to lose weight.
Your job is to figure out which mass desire is driving your prospects to buy and attach it to your service. Show your prospects how your service is the only service that can satisfy their particular desire.
Before we get into attaching a strong mass desire to your service, let's go through a few different types of desires:
- The desire to make more money
- The desire to save money
- The desire to advance in business
- The desire for prestige
- The desire for enjoyment
- The desire to lose weight
- The desire to end boredom
- The desire for more leisure
- The desire for comfort
- The desire for better health
- The desire for freedom from worry
- The desire for security in old age
* These are just some mass desires. When you start looking for them you will discover way more!
Step 1: what is the mass desire that Creates your market?
From the list above or from your own list what mass desires make up your particular market.
If you're a personal trainer, the desires that make up your market might be:
- To lose weight
- To look more attractive
- For better health
- Increased virility (for men)
- To feel significant
- Freedom from worry
- To feel certainty
You don't have to narrow your desire down to the one STRONGEST desire yet. We will do that in the next step.
Step 2: Attach The Performances Of Your Service To Strong Mass Desires
Your job is to take the series of performances that are built into your service---and show your prospect how these performances can satisfy their desire.
The steps to do this are below:
First, list the different performances your service contains.
Personal training offers its prospects several different sets of performances:
- Customization -This program is specially made for you. This gives prospects the notion that only you can help them.
- Availability- Allowing clients to contact you any time builds connection; shows prospects someone cares about them.
- Creating Milestones- Shows clients how far they have progressed. This gives them little wins, gives them hope, and shows them they are improving and getting better.
Second, group these performances against a mass desire that each of them satisfies.
- Customization - Mass desire: significance
- Availability- Mass desire: significance, security, comfort
- Creating Milestones-Mass desire: growth, ending boredom
Step 3: choose one performance and one mass desire that will harness the greatest sales power onto your product.
You won't know for sure which performance and mass desire combo will harness the greatest sales power without testing.
Choose 2-3 top performances and mass desires and test them to see which one has the greatest sales power.
From the example above we will choose:
- Performance: Availability
- Mass desire: Significance
And, test them against these two:
- Performance: Creating milestones
- Mass desire: Growth
Whichever one, has the highest conversion rate will be the one you use on your ads, website, landing pages and headlines.
You have now completed the first stage in writing your headline.
You have defined the mass desire that makes up your market. And you have selected the one performance in your product that satisfies that desire most deeply.
The strongest mass desire and performance forms the main concept and theme of your headline, website, landing page and ads.
In the next blog, you will learn about awareness and sophistication. These will tell you what your headline should---and should not say.